Mandy (Aaron's better half) ;) added Sun River Honey Lemon Honey to this amazingly lemon twist on traditional baklavas. It's also inspired by Nut-Free Baklava Recipe - Delishably so it is NUT FREE!
Makes 18 triangular pieces.
- Phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 2 tbs. orange zest
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbs. Sun River Honey Lemon Honey
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 8-9 inch square pan
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- To make the filling, simply mix together the sesame seeds, sugar, orange zest, and spices.
- Next, cut your phyllo sheets with a knife to fit the pan.
- Butter your pan, or use cooking spray. Then, add a sheet of phyllo and brush with butter. Add 3 more sheets, brushing with butter after each sheet. Then add a thin layer of the filling. Add three more sheets, (buttering each sheet) then more filling, and keep repeating this until you've used up the filling, topping it off with three sheets of phyllo, and a brushing of butter. Now, cut it into squares, since it will be difficult to do this after it has baked.
- Next, toss it into the oven for 1 hour.
- While it's baking, make the syrup. To make the syrup, just toss all of your syrup ingredients (sugar, water, SRH Lemon Honey, lemon zest) into a pot and stir, until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until it has a thin but syrup-like consistency.
- When the baklavas is finished baking, pour the syrup over it!
- Now, the extra bit - once it's cooled and you're ready to plate it, drizzle extra SRH Lemon Honey overtop...it gives it an extra lemony boost. ;)